The complex of buildings known as the Lee Maltings, now the home of the Tyndall National Institute, forms one of the most significant surviving industrial sites in Cork city dating back to the eighteenth century. The complex incorporates the original site of a flour mills, a brewery, a malting operation and related storage, residential and other facilities.
The first development of the site commenced after 1787 when Atwell Hayes was granted a lease of a field adjoining Red House Walk, for twenty years at an annual rent of £25 plus thirty good salmon (or 2/4d in lieu of each salmon). On the eastern side of this field Hayes built a Bolting Mill with extensive stores. This became known as Hayes’ Mills, later Lee Mills (and by the late eighteenth century had become known as the Lee Tide Watermills), and operated with three wooden undershot wheels, the largest of which was only 7ft in diameter. The mill comprised two extensive mills and kilns, a corn store and a miller’s house that consisted of a sitting room, bedrooms and a kitchen. This building still survives today.